How Often Should You Change Replacement Air Filters?
To help protect your air purifier’s lifespan, and improve comfort, it’s important to clean or replace your air purifier filter regularly. Here’s why:
- Efficiency: A dirty or clogged air filter can restrict airflow through the system.
- Comfort: Knowing how often to change air filters can affect your comfort. A neglected, dirty air filter can cause the air purifier to struggle to keep you comfortable.
- System reliability: Because a clogged, dirty filter can make your fan motors and other components work harder, ignoring routine filter maintenance can shorten the life of your air purifier.
TYPES OF AIR FILTERS
QUALITY OF THE AIR
Your activities and your home’s location both can have an effect on indoor air quality. Some examples that can reduce indoor air quality include:
- Smoking in the home
- Burning scented candles
- Using a wood-burning fireplace or stove
- Use of personal care products and cleaning agents
- Location near new construction
- Poor outdoor air quality
ASTHMA OR ALLERGIES
If you have allergy sufferers in the home, or individuals with asthma, you know that these people can be more sensitive to airborne particles such as dust mites and pollen. Be sure to check your filter a minimum of once per month.
PETS IN THE HOME
With animals in the home, the question of how often to change air filters will depend upon a number of factors, including the number, size, and hair length of the animal(s). Pet dander and hair increase the volume of airborne materials that an air filter must capture. Pets also can bring additional dirt and dust into the home. The frequency of filter checks and how often to replace your air filter shouldn’t vary too much if you have just one pet living in the home.
HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE THE UNIT
Ultimately, the decision on how often to check, clean or replace your air purifier replacement filter is up to you. Understanding all of the variables involved will help you make a good choice.
AIR PURIFIER REPLACEMENT CLEANING
If the filter is very dirty, replace it. Filter contamination may vary depending on your environment. The timing of filter cleaning may vary accordingly. Clean between filter replacements, clean the pre-filter with a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush. Never wash the filter with water.
Check out how many air purifiers do I need fore more knowledge.